Saturday 9 June 2012

A Personal Letter



In philosophy we were taught that reality is a reflection of our world view and that our frame of reference ultimately dictates how we perceive reality. If this is true then a reasonable amount of influence on society’s frame of reference is conclusively at the mercy of mass media and the people controlling it. In the very beginning of my first year I was introduced to ethics and values of public relations. This to me now, appears to have been the suitable mandatory foundation on which I was to base further studies of public relations management. I will one day be in a position where I will contribute to the media and finally society’s frame of reference, and it is crucial that that contribution will be based on sound and just ethics, core values as well as an accurate understanding of inter-cultural communication and the sensitivity of society. Therefore, I strongly believe that if I am to make a significant difference in this world I need to comprehend what the world is all about and how the gears of society all fit together neatly.
One of my core values is to raise awareness and aid in social issues and humanitarian activities. These include the upliftment of women in South Africa and Africa as a whole, better quality in the development of skills and education as these form the foundation of upliftment and our country’s growth, the protection of women and children and also the conservation of the environment. Being raised by a single mother, I learnt very quickly by observing, that women are strong and independent, and that this strength and independence is governed by compassion and a nurturing nature. It is because of this characteristic that I gained the confidence to go after my own dreams and aspirations. Along the way I realised that many are not as fortunate as I am, and they also need to be shown how powerful and dynamic they can be if they are given guidance and opportunities to reach their full potential. For this reason, I started volunteering my time and skills to worthy causes since 2008. I found that giving back to the community and to those less fortunate fulfils the basic human need of being a compassionate, strong and nurturing individual. 

No comments:

Post a Comment